Monday, June 27, 2011

Scrumptious Mocha Ice Cream Dessert

This recipe comes from the Colorado Cache cookbook (all of the Junior League of Denver cookbooks my mother swears by) and is perfect for a cold summertime treat. This is one of my favorite desserts that my mom made for us as kids.


I had my neighbors try it this morning, and when they asked for the recipe, I thought I'd share it on my blog in case someone has a sweet tooth and a blistering hot afternoon to make something cool.

Ingredients
1 package of Oreo cookies, crushed
1/3 cup butter, melted
1/2 gallon coffee ice cream
3 ounces unsweetened chocolate
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
1 cup sugar
dash of salt
12 ounces evaporated milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups heavy cream, whipped
3 tablespoons Kahlua liqueur
powdered sugar to taste
1/2-3/4 cup chopped nuts (optional)

Directions
Combine cookie crumbs and butter and press into the bottom of a buttered 9x13 inch pan. Refrigerate. When chilled, spoon on softened ice cream and freeze. Melt chocolate and butter. Add sugar, salt, and milk. Bring to a boil, stirring until thickened. Remove from heat and add vanilla. Chill and spread on top of ice cream. Freeze. Whip cream. Add Kahlua and powdered sugar. Spread over chocolate layer and sprinkle top with chopped nuts. Freeze.


Variation
Use peppermint ice cream and garnish with cookie crumbs or shaved semi-sweet chocolate.


***Note: I did not want to spend $18 on a bottle of Kahlua, even if I knew that I had plenty of delicious drinks in mind after the 3 tablespoons called for in the recipe. The clerk at the liquor store helped me find this cheaper generic brand (Caffe Lolita) to substitute. Tastes just like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment